Are you looking for a light and easy cottage weekend breakfast? Look no further! This super simple cottage granola fills the bill. I’ve been making this granola for years now constantly building off the original recipe I got from my Mom. The thing I like best about granola (aside from how light yet satisfying it is as a breakfast or snack) is that the recipe is so flexible you can mix and match ingredients you have on hand and discover your own personal Cottage Granola recipe.
I’ve split this recipe into two sections: essential ingredients and optional ones. The essential ingredients are still a little bit flexible but for the best results, I’d stick pretty close to the recipe. After that … the sky’s the limit! Let’s get right to it shall we …
Cedarwood Cottage Granola
- 6 c large flake oats (gluten free, spelt flakes – or a combination of oat and spelt flakes
- 1/2 c – 3/4 c butter (I like combining half butter and half coconut oil to make up the half cup)
- 1/2 c maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 – 2 tbsp cinnamon (we like cinnamon, you can flex on this amount to suit your taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c ground flax seed
- 1/4 c ground chia seeds
- 1/2 c unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 c pumpkin seeds (raw)
- 3/4 c sunflower seeds (raw)
- 1 c cranberries or other dried fruit (or you can omit this and use fresh fruits when serving.
- Preheat oven to 200°f and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients, not including the dried fruit if using.
- Melt butter in microwave or on the stovetop, add maple syrup and vanilla, mix well to combine.
- Slowly pour the butter mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with spatula until all flakes are well coated.
- Spread the mixture onto the lined baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, then stir the mixture on the pan and put in for another 10 minutes.
- Repeat step 5 (baking and stirring at 10 minute intervals) until the granola becomes toasty golden in colour. This will take 30 minutes or a little more since we’re using such a low heat.
- When completed, remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow to cool completely before adding dried fruits and putting into an airtight container for storage.
For serving, combine about ¼ c of granola with a few tablespoons of your favorite yogurt. Enjoy!